About Me

My photo
About me....I graduated from the University of South Alabama in 2005 with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I taught third grade for two and a half years and then resigned for a year. I am now back teaching sixth grade science here in Mobile, Alabama. I have always had a passion for teaching. I have come to realize that my students motivate me to become an even better teacher. I am always learning new things and ideas.

Friday, January 15, 2010

The Importance of Creativity

This video really does make you think about our future. In this video Ken Robinson talks about the unpredictability of the future. He believes creativity is just as important as literacy. I agree with him. He also stated that children are not afraid to be wrong. People today feel as though they cannot be wrong. Our society in itself has tamed our minds to think it is not okay to do anything wrong. Even as adults, you have to be prepared to be wrong. If you are wrong, you learn with a more open mind. Mr. Robinson speaks about the core subjects in today’s schools. Math and language arts are drilled in the schools and if there is time left, the other arts are introduced. Children dance and play just as much as they learn math or any other subject. Teachers are more interested in taming children’s minds rather than focusing on anything else. More and more people are going to school and getting degrees. In the past, a 4-year degree got you a job. Now, in our economy, it’s hard enough to find a job with or without a master’s degree. Mr. Robinson talked about people and how they find their talents. He shared a story of a friend who found a dance talent in an interesting way. We all have the gift of imagination. Children should be encouraged to use their imagination and not to be scared to be wrong. Wrong answers lead to right answers that also lead to many other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment