About Me

My photo
About me....I graduated from the University of South Alabama in 2005 with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I taught third grade for two and a half years and then resigned for a year. I am now back teaching sixth grade science here in Mobile, Alabama. I have always had a passion for teaching. I have come to realize that my students motivate me to become an even better teacher. I am always learning new things and ideas.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines

Kelly Hines’ article was very well delivered. Ms. Hines stated that she believes technology is only a tool. Some teachers have been teaching for many years. Today, there are smart boards, programs, and new innovations that those teachers may not be aware of. I also believe that teachers need to be open minded and open to learning about these new things. I am teaching 6th grade in Mobile County. I know that it seems as though my students are teaching me each day about something new they have learned about new technologies. Yes, I do believe technology is an important factor in learning, but only if it is implemented in a useful way.

Ms. Hines listed four things that teachers need to recognize when it comes to a new generation of learning:
1. Teachers must be learners.
2. Learning and Teaching are not the same thing.
3. Technology is useless without good teaching.
4. Be a 21st Century Teacher without the technology.

These are very good points. Teachers have to be open to learning themselves. Just as Dr. Strange said in our class, teachers need to be open to new things, as times are changing and improving.
Learning and teaching are two different things. I do believe they can happen at the same time, but they are different. Technology is a wonderful tool for the new generation, but only if teachers put forth the effort to learn and properly use these innovations. If a teacher can find ways to prepare students with the capacity to be creative and innovative, those children will be well prepared to face the future. ~Kelly Hines

No comments:

Post a Comment