About Me

My photo
About me....I graduated from the University of South Alabama in 2005 with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I taught third grade for two and a half years and then resigned for a year. I am now back teaching sixth grade science here in Mobile, Alabama. I have always had a passion for teaching. I have come to realize that my students motivate me to become an even better teacher. I am always learning new things and ideas.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lisa Nielson " The Innovative Educator" Comments4Teachers


For Comments4Teachers I was assigned to Ms. Lisa Nielsen's blog. Ms. Nielsen created this site "to enable her to share information, ideas, and resources with other innovative educators as well as begin to grow a community interested in educating innovatively." Ms. Nielsen does keep up with her blog and updates it regularly. These are the three comments that I posted to Ms. Nielsen's blog.

First Comment March 2nd:

Hello Ms. Nielsen. My name is Tiffany Lindell Karamovic. I am taking a college class entitled EDM310 for Dr. Strange at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, AL. One of my assignments was to visit your blog. I will be following your blog and keeping up with your ideas. I am glad he assigned me to your blog. I read your post and was very interested. The class that I am taking is actually about technology in education. I agree with you. I am also a sixth grade teacher her in Mobile. I know that at my school students are blocked or restricted on many sites. Students are not able to access these learning communities and technologies. I don't agree with some of these comments to your post. Technology is our future. No, I don't think that technology should be the primary focus, but times have changed. Teachers direct class and students use pencil and paper to regurgitate what they have learned. I can see how students in this time and age would get bored with that, day in and day out. Parents also play a huge role in this online learning experience. If parents are aware of this online learning community, they can be shown how to monitor their children and help them. I really enjoyed your ideas. It sounds as though you are excited to present at the Conference in April. My blog for our class is here! I will be posting a blog post to my blog about my visits to your blog on or before March 21. I am anxious to follow up. Our class blog!

Second comment March 5th:

Ms. Nielsen,
I hope this Webinar went well for everyone. It seems as though many teachers and educators would greatly benefit from TEDxNYED. As I commented before, I am taking a technology class for the University of South Alabama for Dr. Strange. He has had us read some articles and ideas from Michael Wesch which is one of the presenters at this Webinar. I have been looking into the TEDxNYED website. Thank you for posting this information. I will share this information with my classmates and some faculty at my school. I am also going to look up TEDxNYED on Twitter to find out more information.

Third comment March 8th:

Hello Ms. Nielsen! This is an interesting clip. What a great question. If learning has not happened, has teaching occurred?? Do we hold teachers to a higher standard? My thoughts, and my thoughts only, are that teachers are held to higher standards. I know that at the end of each quarter at the school I teach at, the teachers are reviewed according to their EQT scores. How did your students do? Were your students proficient? So, this is a great question. I liked the other comment from Meg Hill. "Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself." ~~ Chinese Proverb. This is very true. Ms. Nielsen, thank you for sharing this strip with us. Do you think teaching has happened if learning has not occurred?

No comments:

Post a Comment