About Me

My photo
About me....I graduated from the University of South Alabama in 2005 with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I taught third grade for two and a half years and then resigned for a year. I am now back teaching sixth grade science here in Mobile, Alabama. I have always had a passion for teaching. I have come to realize that my students motivate me to become an even better teacher. I am always learning new things and ideas.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dear Kaia


What an inspiring story. All three of these sites are very inspirational. Kaia will really enjoy looking back at all of her accomplishments. Kaia’s blog showed all of the pictures she took while outside her home with her father. I think it’s great that her father did this for her. Now others are able to actually comment back to Kaia personally. Mr. Chamberlain’s blog showed us how him and his students were able to communicate to Kaia rather than just writing comments. This way, Kaia was able to hear the comments and better understand that other people are watching her and reading about her. The older that Kaia gets, the more she will understand. I think creating a VoiceThread was a great idea for Kaia. Her father was also able to show her and explain to her about other people looking at her blog and pictures.

Kaia’s father’s post was also inspiring. Kaia’s father had some rally good points. I do not have children yet, but I can see how it may be hard for parents to put all of their trust in teachers when it comes to the web. I know Kaia’s father originally started this site to share photos with family. Then it became a way to document her life and now he is sharing Kaia’s story with people all over the world. Kaia’s father mentioned how he is almost scared at this, but he thought about it as a teacher. He thought that if he needs to be able to share these ideas and technologies with students then he should be able to for his own child. Sharing your child with the world is a scary thing. Even though there will be many lessons learned, is it ok? Is there more harm than good? Kaia’s father comes up with a very good set of questions. “What is the value in this experience? Is the risk of exposing ourselves and our children online worth the connections that will be made and the lessons that will be learned?”

No comments:

Post a Comment