About Me

My photo
About me....I graduated from the University of South Alabama in 2005 with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I taught third grade for two and a half years and then resigned for a year. I am now back teaching sixth grade science here in Mobile, Alabama. I have always had a passion for teaching. I have come to realize that my students motivate me to become an even better teacher. I am always learning new things and ideas.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dr. Scott McLeod


After reading Mr. McLeod’s most recent comment, I went back to the original post on his blog and read come of the comments. I also went to the links that he provided for us to look at. I especially liked “Educating Trumps Blocking” by Kimberly Moritz. I agree with Ms. Moritz and think that when it comes to schools filtering their computers, it needs to stop. Kids will be kids, BUT like she said, “Stop filtering everything, teach kids how and where they can go on-line while in school, and give consequences to the 2% who make a mistake.” She made another good point in her article. Kids are and should be monitored while using computers. There are programs that allow you to monitor the student’s computers while sitting at your desk. I used this program last quarter. It was amazing!

Also, Mr. McLeod expresses that filtering needs to stop as well. By filtering and blocking the Internet, students get the message that they are not trusted. In reality, they aren’t and that is why they are blocked. Students will have to fend for themselves when it comes to these new technologies if they continue to be blocked all the time. I know at the school I teach a lot of websites are blocked. How can we as future educators bring all of the interesting new ideas and technologies to the classroom if we are blocked from most of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment