About Me

My photo
About me....I graduated from the University of South Alabama in 2005 with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I taught third grade for two and a half years and then resigned for a year. I am now back teaching sixth grade science here in Mobile, Alabama. I have always had a passion for teaching. I have come to realize that my students motivate me to become an even better teacher. I am always learning new things and ideas.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

"What I've Learned This Year" by Mr. McClung


I really enjoyed this entry. I am glad Dr. Strange had us read this post. In my comment to Mr. McClung, I told him that I am a third year teacher in Mobile, Alabama. When I read his entry it sounded similar to my first year of teaching. I remember my student teaching and I was so worried about my superior watching me and scoring me on my "well planned out" lesson, that I did forget about my audience. During my first year of teaching I had teachers, parents, and some students telling me things that they thought I needed to know about teaching. When I realized that I was the only who taught my students day in and day out, I realized I had to do things on my own. After many of my "well-planned out" lessons did not work as I had planned them, I also realized that things may not go as planned. I actually learned a lot when they didn't.

My students and I grew together throughout the year and by the end of the year we had a blast. I changed my expectations and realized that not every day was going to be perfect. Now, in my third year teaching, I am still learning new styles, ideas, and technology. Every time I try something new with my students, I find it interesting to see if it works or not. During the journey though, I have had a lot of fun. I will be learning more and more each year and it makes me excited. I enjoy what I do and realized that not every year is the same. I thanked Mr. McClung for sharing his first year experiences and thoughts. I thoroughly enjoyed reading his post.

4 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed Mr. McClung's insight into a first year of teaching. Because you've already experience this, I'm sure it was familiar to you. It would be interesting to hear what you experience as well. I love hearing "first-year teaching" stories. It makes me feel more comfortable about doing this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Tiffany. Keep up the great work. How about making your web links "working" web links? Give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a future educator myself I find your post about your first year very helpful. I totally agree with what you said about your lesson plans. I think it is a good idea to go with the flow if your lessons plans do not work out well. It is always a good idea to get educational ideas from students and co-workers. Keep the good work up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you say you try things just to see if it works. We must realize that we will make mistakes. It happens. And as teachers we must change year to year, because we have different students each year.

    ReplyDelete